You May Be Missing Something!

Friday, September 17, 2010

Destination Fascination

For those of you living under a rock or for those of you unfortunate enough to miss out on my multitude of meandering ponderings, I am heading for Germany on September 19th.  I will fly back on October 22nd.

Although mostly for work, I do get my weekends off and I did manage to take 6 days of vacation.  From September 30th to October 3rd, I will be in Munich to close down this year's Oktoberfest.  It ends on October 3rd.

My work officially ends on October 15th, but my return flight is not until October 22nd.  As of right now, I am planning to get on an ICE (InterCity Express) and go to Paris on October 15.  I'll stay in Paris until October 21st, then return to Frankfurt.  It's about a three and a half hour train ride on the ICE train.  I'm not 100% sold on this plan right now, but it's my best plan yet and several people have told me that Paris is wonderful.  Going to Amsterdam for a week is probably my 2nd best option.

The weekend of September 24th (my first weekend in Frankfurt) I have been promised a weekend in Frankfurt going bar hopping to the many Heavy Metal clubs in the area.  If you are familiar with bands like Rammstein you'll understand why I'm pretty excited about it.


The weekend after that, as I've already stated, will be spent in Munich closing down the 2010 Oktoberfest.

The only weekend I don't have plans then is the weekend of October 8th.  I can stay in Frankfurt (obviously).  I can go to Prague (Czech Republic) or I can go to Brussels (Belgium).  Prague would be the furthest East I've ever ventured (unless you count when I was down on the Eastern ankle of Italy).  Brussels, obviously, for the beer and perhaps the waffles.  Both are about 3 hour train rides from Frankfurt.  I'm not sure a weekend is enough.  I mean I'd leave Friday after work, arrive 10 PM or so and then have to find a train back on Sunday afternoon.  It'd be a lot of money to spend for a one day trip...

No comments: