You May Be Missing Something!

Tuesday, November 26, 2013

No Sex For You (unless you plan to get pregnant)

It's the 21st century. At least I think it is.

Caveats galore! I didn't vote for Obama. The new affordable healthcare act fell well short of what I thought it should be. Doing away with health insurance would have been a good start. Instead we've forced everyone to buy health insurance.

That being said...

For companies to say, "Because of our religious beliefs we refuse to cover contraception" is like me saying, "Because I think my pinky toe is pretty, I refuse to wear shoes".

Yes, that's right, I'm saying it's stupid.

If you're going to waste taxpayer money in our court systems, find something worth litigating about.

As Americans, the Declaration of Independence says we have the right to the pursuit of happiness. If sex makes you happy, but childbirth does not, you better not be Catholic or work for some other archaic company that requires you to follow their religious beliefs (no matter how backasswards).

These types of religious views only affect women. So men are free to pursue happiness all they want, but women who work for one of these companies or belong to one of these religions are not?

Well, I guess, technically, they could, but it'll cost them more. Both in money (paying for their own birth control) and for time (spending more of it in the confessional booth).

It's time to join the 21st century folks. Women have just as much of a right as men to happiness. We shouldn't have laws or religions that discriminate based on sex.

Freedom is more important than religious freedom. If I happen to have a job working for a wealthy Catholic family, I shouldn't be required to be Catholic. That, my friends, is most definitely not freedom of religion.

In a country founded upon freedom of religion we can't have people (no matter how wealthy they happen to be) rewriting our laws because of their religion. It'll go nowhere but down.

2 comments:

  1. Gar, the Declaration of Independence has nothing to do with our legal rights as Americans. That particular declaration was declaring independence from Great Britain and King George. That part of the declaration about pursuing happiness is in the documents preamble, which goes like this....

    "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness."

    So, basically the declaration is saying that it is the Creator, whoever that is, who endows certain rights.

    The Declaration of Independence came about in 1776. America did not become a nation with a constitution til 13 years after that.

    Other than all that, I agree with what you are saying about the current health insurance absurdity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even a better point. If the right is given to us by the Creator then why are the Christians being ugly?

    Silly Christians.

    I thought about fixing it. I've changed my mind.

    ReplyDelete