You May Be Missing Something!

Monday, June 23, 2008

George Carlin, Blogging Before the Internet

I think I've said before that I don't watch TV. I've never stood in line to get an autograph. I don't have any idols except maybe my dad. The whole idea of worshiping movie stars, rock stars, sports stars, etc. is lost on me.

Occasionally there is one that I wish I could sit down and talk with. It's not an idolization. I don't put them on a pedestal. I think I'd just like to sit down with them for a beer or dinner and a beer.

George Carlin was one such person. I have never watched any of his shows (in its entirety) on TV. I've just heard him speak occasionally at appearances and have heard people talk about him in various settings.

He did something that I enjoy. He made light of serious and sometimes politically charged situations. Like his famous 7 words you can't say skit. He also had a famous sports routine regarding the craziness of baseball and football. It's like he must have sat around and had random and off the wall thoughts on certain subject matter. Where, today, people have the Internet and start blogs to let the world know how crazy they are. He turned it into a comedy routine. He blogged before blogging -- via stand up comedy.

I'll never get to have that beer with Carlin although I suspect he thought a lot like I do and it would have been fun. I would not have asked him to sign anything or have a picture made. I don't do that. But, I bet I would have laughed more than once and maybe made him laugh too.

3 comments:

  1. You and George Carlin would have clashed over your conflicting religious views.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, cuz religion is the greatest bullshit story ever told. I miss George.

    ReplyDelete