You May Be Missing Something!

Monday, December 20, 2010

Countrified Weekend With Green Lines & TSO

Or, you can make up your own title. 

image Last Friday I was invited to go out dancing at W.W. Fairfields in Richardson.  My momma always told me if you can’t say something nice, don’t say anything at all.

It’s not one of my favorite rules.  To prepare for my outing, I donned my blue jeans, western shirt, cowboy boots and hat.  It’s my one Halloween costume that I wear periodically throughout the year.

Let’s see, something nice.  The door lady at W.W. Fairfields was nice.

I live about 10 minutes from where 635 meets 121 and 114 so I jaunted over to 635 to head east to 75.  W.W. Fairfields is about 2 miles north of 635 and about a mile east of 75.  Google maps told me it should take about 30 minutes to get there.  I left at 8:20.

At 8:40, 635 became a parking lot.  Apparently some poor little car spun out and crashed a bit (maybe not in that order) and managed to screw up three out of five lanes.  At 9:15, I finally got past it.

At 9:25 or so, I finally arrived at the watering hole for lost cowboys we’ll call Fairfields (because I’m tired of putting the W.W. in front).

Now I was invited to Fairfields by Lisa and she’s very easy on the eyes and as a bonus she can deal with my random banter so I can’t complain too much.  Having said that and hopefully saved me some grief, Fairfields gave me chills in places I didn’t know existed on my person.

I even went so far as to dance until my feet hurt and my bum knee started going out in an effort to mitigate the creepy feeling that I was entering “another dimension not only of sight and sound, but of mind”.

I’ve been the only straight guy at a gay bar called “Pekers” and not felt that out of place.

However, I recommend you go to Fairfields on your own.  You might like it.  The drinks were cheap and the people watching was fun.  The dance floor was rectangular and I’m accustomed to round dance floors for country dancing.  The geometry of it managed to make me lose any grace I pretend to have.

On Sunday, Lisa invited me to the TSO (Trans-Siberian Orchestra) concert at the American Airlines Center.  Now, I’ve seen them twice before and blogged about it.  I won’t bore you with the details.  If you haven’t seen a TSO show, you should definitely put it on your list of things to do.

A bonus cool thing about this event was the new Green Line on the DART rail system.  I’ve been looking for an excuse to try is since it opened on December 6.

If you click on the link you can get a better picture.  I live up near the North Carrollton stop.  So instead of having to fight traffic into downtown Dallas, then find a parking place near the American Airlines Center, and finally paying $15 for my trouble, we were able to take a 15 minute drive to the Carrollton Park & Ride facility and hop on a train.  30 minutes later the train deposited us within 50 yards of the front door.

Yay Dallas!  I love the Green Line.  A day pass on DART costs $4.  Four bucks is cheap for a stress free round trip ride into downtown Dallas from my neck of the woods.  The Green Line has stops at American Airlines Center, West End (House of Blues), and Deep Ellum (just to name a few).  I may never have to drive into downtown Dallas again.

Another interesting discovery on Sunday was that the American Airlines Center has good beer.  They have several hefeweizens including Franziskaner and Paulaner, a smattering of beers from the Saint Arnold’s brewery in Houston, and that’s just the ones I remember.  There were several I hadn’t seen before and didn’t bother to note the names.  At each “corner” of the building (if you walk around the ground floor just as you enter), there is a different beer bar.  Each one is dedicated to a certain “locale”.  The one I stopped at was the Imports section.  They had at least 4 German beers on tap.  There was a Texas section, an American section, etc.  Very cool.  Well done American Airlines Center!  Of course, they cost $7.50 for about a 16 ounce cup, but variety is the spice of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment