You May Be Missing Something!

Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Fun With Friends and Words

Since Words With Friends came out on the Android I've been playing with several people I happen to know who can put up with my self-diagnosed Asperger's syndrome.  We'll call them friends.

I quickly grew irritated with the game because it requires a good vocabulary, but it's also a math game and I prefer the math portion of it.  You look at all the different ways you can play a word and come up with the one which will give you the most points although it's not always obvious.  The scoring rules are kind of "learn as you go".  My vocabulary is not very good.

I discovered the "Win Every Game" website to help me with the vocabulary part, but I still spend a lot of time doing the math trying to figure out the best place to put the words.  There's also a bit of defense thrown in trying to prevent your opponent from getting the 100 point scores by leaving triple letter triple word combo's open for play.  You gotta keep those puppies unplayable.

Yesterday I played the word zek.  I didn't really know what the heck it was, but it fit where I was trying to play with a triple letter score on the z.  My opponent (bless him for putting up with my sickness) said, "Okay smarty pants.  What does zek mean?"

I had to look it up.  It happens to be an inmate at a forced labor camp.  I used zek in a sentence just to prove I knew what it meant.  We don't have zeks in the USA, but we should.  Go tell that to your friends and see if they look at you funny.

Although not required for diagnosis of Asperger Syndrome, physical clumsiness and atypical use of language are frequently reported

No comments:

Post a Comment