You May Be Missing Something!

Wednesday, September 30, 2009

This Week

Work is too busy.  I’ve been working at the same place for about 9 years and 6 months.  It’s time for a change.  That stresses me out.  I’m thinking I’ll start looking in January, but won’t be too disappointed if I get to pick up my 10 year anniversary gift on the day I turn in my resignation.

Yesterday they sent me to Washington DC for a meeting with the Post Office.  I don’t like day trips.  I’m staying home today because yesterday was a 17 hour day.  I was at the airport at 6 AM and arrived back at the airport at 10:30 PM.

I have between 6 and 10 emails every morning telling me something needs to be done ASAP.  They refuse to hire anyone else (because of the economy).  I’m still trying to track down and fix the ASAP problem from 4 weeks ago.

Our network administrator quit a few weeks ago and now I’m doing his job as well as my job and they haven’t made any strides in hiring a replacement.  I don’t have time to blog any more.  In fact I don’t have time to finish anything.  Every time I start working on something someone comes to tell me their PC won’t boot.

I’m going to go on a vacation Thanksgiving week.  I’m thinking of taking a cruise.  I basically want to go do something where I don’t have to think.  I don’t want to be bothered with a budget.  I don’t want to worry about where I’m going to eat or what I’m going to do.  A cruise fits that bill rather nicely.  Maybe there is something else.  Suggestions are welcome.

If you know someone who knows someone or if you are someone who is hiring a Lead Software Architect, then have them send me an email.  I’m very good at what I do.  I applied for a Software Director position at Travelocity.  It’s a bit bigger than anything I’ve done before, but I know I’d be good at it.  They wanted someone with “management” experience.  Their loss.  I’m a leader anyway -- not a manager.

I’ve lost my spark with my wife.  I don’t know what happened there.  Perhaps the stress at work is to blame.  Perhaps she’s found people more enjoyable to hang out with.  I don’t know.  She gets mad when I ask about it because “nothing is wrong”.  So, I don’t ask anymore.  I just make things up as I go along.  My stories are pretty wild.  I’m open for suggestion there too.  Maybe the vacation can help.  I might need psychological help.

She’ll get mad at me for putting that in my blog, but when you are already swimming in lava, it can’t get any hotter.

I’m thinking of starting an aggressive blog where I post all the things I think about doing to people that make me mad.  When it comes to confrontational people, I am on the “non-confrontational to a fault” side of things.  I avoid confrontation at all costs.  Try thinking like I do when you go out with the wife and she thinks the waiter was being rude.  I think I’m expected to do something about it, but that would involve a confrontation.

5 comments:

  1. Go to Vegas. It's got anything you might like about a cruise, only way more roomy. And if you want a big body of water there's Lake Mead. Cheaper and funner & way more to do than being on a boat.

    Tell that wife of yours to shape up or you're shipping her out to Germany. This will qualify as a confrontation, but it has to be done.

    Get over this "I'm not confrontational" thing. You are quite confrontational. You are just extremely passive aggressive about it.

    As for that job of yours. How did you get yourself into such a mess? Could they not have let you stay overnight in D.C.?

    To sum up. Vegas for Thanksgiving, ultimatum to the wife, stop being passive aggressive and switch to being directly confrontational, then demand a big raise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the words of wisdom D-go.

    I've actually been trying to figure out how to become more actively aggressive in a way that will assure a 100% success rate.

    I'm researching the Vegas idea. I had fun last time I was there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Quit researching Vegas and just go. Stay at Treasure Island, now TI since they ended the Pirate Battle and turned it into the Sirens of TI show, scantily clad pirate girls putting on a show on the hour, or is it half hour, in the cove out front. I've not been back since the Sirens arrived.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Durango, only women give ultimatums...not men, what were you thinking?

    Gar, I'll be in Dallas on the 16th of October, in case you're wanting to get away for some fun sooner.

    ReplyDelete
  5. TI was one of the two hotels I was choosing between. Scantily clad pirate girls were not mentioned in their ad, but it may have placed them in the lead!

    I should be available October 16. I'll mark my calendar!

    ReplyDelete