You May Be Missing Something!

Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Preemptive Bologna

Since my last round of trolling activity produced no anger, I've decided to try again.

I think I mentioned in the last post that I'm not fond of handguns. I believe this way because good people have really bad days and handguns make it easy for them to make a bad day even worse. True, I'm not fond of knives in that regard either, but my karate instructor taught me how to disarm someone with a knife. If memory serves, his instructions for handling a gun situation were to run.

Having preambled with all of that, how do I handle it when my religious neighbors start stockpiling guns? I've already said I'm not fond of it. They've broken no laws. I just happen to know they are zealots so I try to avoid them. They could be Christian or they could be Muslim. I don't know. I just know they are very religious and it makes me nervous that they have guns.

I should mention this is all hypothetical in an attempt to make a point. I don't even know my neighbors. Well, except that nice teacher lady next door.

It would be perfectly legal for me to go buy a rifle so I can protect myself against any aggression they may make upon my abode. I believe I could go talk to them and try and figure out how much danger I was really in. I could let them know that when their "prophesied apocalypse" is happening, I will not be taking part and I will be shooting at anyone who attempts to hurt me or mine.

There are lots of things I could legally do. What can I not legally do? Well, I can not break into their house and steal their guns. I can not do a preemptive strike and kill them all before their prophesied apocalypse. Both of these would be considered criminal activities.

It's kind of odd to me that this is what we are threatening to do against Iran. Romney (thank god he didn't get elected) even said that if Israel decided to take out Iran, the USA would back them. Huh? You just can't do things like that. Who said USA was allowed to dictate which countries are allowed to develop nuclear power?

The Iraq invasion was even worse. I'm all for defending ourselves, but when defense turns into taking out our neighbors (yes, it's a small world) because of some predicted danger, you have to draw the line.

You can't go around killing people because they worry you.

4 comments:

  1. Ok Gar - No hatred here but a discussion seems in line. As long as we are talking about hypotheticals and banning taking defensive positions, how about this? It only takes 42 pounds of force to snap someones neck. I am sure your karete classes teach you to disarm and subdue an aggressive person. This would put you into a position where you could easily place one hand behind their head and one across thier chin, a quick twist and SNAP. By your logic this should also be illegal and banned, therefore all martial artist and their instructors should be taken out of society.

    The question is: how much regulation is enough? No matter if you are talking about guns, knives, bank bailouts, immigration and giving immunity to illegals or whatever. HOW MUCH IS ENOUGH? Where do you draw the line?

    ReplyDelete
  2. In a perfect world, there would be no need for handguns and no need for Karate. Everyone would love everyone, there would be no danger (imagined or otherwise) and we'd be sooo happy.

    Unfortunately, that's not the case so we have to make it hard for stupid people to kill. And there are a lot of stupid people in the world. The easier we make it for stupid people to kill the less freedoms we have.

    Who judges who is too stupid to be armed? You can't let the gun sellers judge. The more they sell, the richer they get.

    You can't let people like me judge because everyone would be too stupid (including myself).

    You can't let the other people judge because they'll arm everyone. It's the American way!

    You end up letting the government decide and then half the people complain they are doing too much and the other half complain they are not doing enough.

    It's a debate no one can win.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Guns are weapons. There more weapons you have in a country, the more dangerous it will be. It's just common sense right?
    As a non-American, I must say I find the American "argument" on the right to own guns to be total nonsense. No other country but America even has this question.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As an American, I do too.

    It's got indirect historical roots.

    ReplyDelete