You May Be Missing Something!

Thursday, October 15, 2009

Hostmonster

I use Hostmonster for my web hosting. I picked it because of the cute little blond on the front page.

I'd give you my website, but there is literally nothing of interest there. I started out in earnest and when I hit my first hurdle I sat down and rested.

So it surprised me today when I got the email from Hostmonster that my account had been suspended for activity that violated their terms of use.

They gave me an 800 number to call so I called it.

Apparently I had setup a message board that was getting inundated with spam.

Remember back when I hit my first hurdle? I was trying to setup a message board and I couldn't get it to work so I bailed on the idea. However, I left my failed attempt behind (it wasn't taking up that much space and I thought I'd get back to it later).

Apparently, it was working because someone was posting lots and lots of messages. So many messages that the Hostmonster server flagged it.

A technical guy answered the phone at Hostmonster really quick and helped me to disable the message board (that I thought wasn't working anyway). He only chuckled at me politely. I was disappointed that the cute blond didn't answer the phone though.

1 comment:

  1. Moral of the story: message boards are a a pain in the ass

    ReplyDelete