You May Be Missing Something!

Monday, February 16, 2009

Twilight, the Vampire Movie

My oldest daughter has been telling me that this is the best movie ever. She has actually read the books. It's the first time I've ever seen her actually sit down and read a book.

She likes the movie better than the book because the movie has Robert Pattinson in it. He's apparently very cute. He played the part of Cedric in the Harry Potter series. The first character to die. I guess he had to die so he could be a vampire.

It's an interesting story this Twilight thing. It's interesting for several reasons. First of all, I think it's cool that they all live in Washington and they live in the area of Washington that's rainy because they don't like sunlight. It's interesting because the main vampire family are vampires because a Medical Doctor (vampire) turned them into vampires to save them. How would you like to be on your deathbed, but given the option of living forever as a vampire?

It's also cool that they are self-described "vegetarians". They drink animal blood (never humans).

It would be really interesting to see this premise brought out in a non-teen-love story movie. Because even with all these cool ideas, they still have to have the teen love story which was very distracting. I had to avert my gaze every time someone got googly eyes.

But, it was good enough to make me want to read the books. Or at least the first one. Kudos to Stephanie Meyer for her imagination in creating this book and making it irritating enough that my teenage daughter would read it too.

My first vampire love story was Bloodsucking Fiends by Christopher Moore. I think I read it about 10 years ago. The girl is the vampire in that one.

No comments:

Post a Comment