You May Be Missing Something!

Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Passports

Used to when I traveled, I always left my passport locked safely away in my hotel room.  The first time I was in Italy, I was taught the error of my ways.

From that point forward, when I was out of the country (especially in Italy), I always safely stuffed my passport in a pant's pocket.

Therefore, when I arrived home from Italy a couple of weeks ago, I managed to include my passport in with my laundry which was safely washed and dried.  My passport survived, but it doesn't look too healthy.

I searched the Internet a bit, which I am rather fond of doing, and discovered that damaged passports are generally frowned upon.  I am guessing the legitimacy is harder to validate with a wrinkled and frayed passport.

I have decided to renew my passport.  It is going to cost $75 and it will take 4 to 6 weeks.  All I ask is that no one invite me anywhere out of the country until it comes in.

According the the government's website, damaged passports can not be renewed.  You must apply for a new one.  They don't qualify "damaged".  I will go to the post office tomorrow for pictures and to talk to someone that can hopefully help me.  I'm guessing they'll just renew it.  It's not that damaged.  But, you never know.

3 comments:

  1. You don't need a passport to come visit me, jus sayin'

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did the same thing a few years ago and had to apply for a replacement. When I received the new passport, it was stamped with a notice that the previous passport was damaged.

    Don't be surprised by the "scarlet letter". After a while, that notice bugged me enough that I applied for an early renewal to get it off my passport.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the heads up. That will irritate me as well. I don't want a notice on my passport.

    I turned in my washed passport with my application.

    Hopefully they have quit issuing passports with these hurtful allegations.

    ReplyDelete