You May Be Missing Something!

Wednesday, May 28, 2008

What if people are stupid?

Lately I've been questioning my political views to some extent. I believe that the government should stay out of my business. I believe that people need to learn to take care of themselves again and stop expecting Uncle Sam to protect them.

I can't find the quote but it seems like someone famous once said something about the fact that some people lack the ability to reason and thus you have the need for a government.

I was complaining to my mother a while back because she sent me one of those chain emails about Obama being a Muslim and out to do us all in because he's been trained since he was a wee little tike.

Then, I was out with one of my friends and was telling him about this email from my mother and he couldn't believe how people could be so stupid! -- he's a big Obama fan.

So, I was telling him that if I had my way, I'd vote for Ron Paul. He looked me straight in the eye and said, "Yeah, but did you hear about him? He's a racist who published that newspaper."

What is this world coming to? Are people really this stupid? Do we believe everything we read? Even if people do things in their past, they are allowed to change. Why do we let random media stories sway are opinions so drastically?

I've always been a "walk a mile in his shoes" kind of person. When I see someone getting a bad rap by the media I always wish I could talk to them so I could have my own opinions. We are promised innocence until proven guilty, but I don't think the founding fathers knew about the power of Television -- not to mention the Internet.

3 comments:

  1. You're talking about stupid people? I am shocked, shocked I tell you, that you are so stupid you did not know that Thomas Jefferson invented the Internet. For your information, Tom was one of the Founding Fathers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gar,
    I'm about 1/3 into the Ron Paul manifesto, and it's one of the best political books I've ever picked up.
    The old newsletters, as they say, are unfortunate. I didn't learn about them until The New Republic article came out. I'll try to stick it behind the truck seat so it'll be there for the next Libertarian Meetup.
    It's some severely damning stuff....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Durango,
    I've got nothing. You've once again been misinformed about the inventor of the Internet.

    Sepulchre Guy,
    I've since decided that I probably wouldn't like Ron Paul as a person. But that wouldn't necessarily make him a bad president. Then again, I've never met him. He might be a fun loving, easy to talk to individual who at one point in his past went a bit outside the politically correct box of free thinking.

    ReplyDelete