You May Be Missing Something!

Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Why we love to hate Microsoft

I am a geek.

I discovered computers when I was 11 and never looked back. In 1993 I built my first Intel computer running Win 3.1.

2 years later I installed Win 95 as soon as it was available.

I've installed Linux. I discovered Unix in 1992 at my first job out of college. I think it was SCO.

Personally, I like Linux a lot better than Windows. I like the flexibility it provides. The first thing I install on my new Window's machines is Cygwin so I can get my bash shell going on.

So, earlier this year I built a new PC. E8400 Dual Core Intel processor, 4 gigs of RAM, etc. It is the bomb. I installed Windows Vista. I bought a DirectX 10 compatible Video card.

I do this because everyone I know uses Windows. And everyone I know also knows I am a geek. I have to know all about Windows so that I can answer all of their questions. It's just easier. People expect it.

MAC's make me feel stupid. I know nothing about them. I've heard that they are based on a flavor of Unix but that's about it. I've never owned one and I've never successfully solved anyone's MAC problem. Maybe they don't have problems.

How did Microsoft get to where they are? Was it Bill Gates? Was he in the right place at the right time or is he a marketing computer geek nerd genius? He was born October 28th. That makes him a Scorpio. I'd say he's probably a marketing genius and lies a lot. I know all about Astrology.

No comments:

Post a Comment