You May Be Missing Something!

Thursday, March 18, 2010

Opposed to Stubbornness

image My last two posts have been anti-HCR (health care reform).

They have been posts mostly out of ignorance.  Although something about Pelosi really does irritate me.
Obama still hasn’t earned my trust.  In my opinion there were many, many simple promises he made that he should have kept, but did not.  It scares the hell out of me that he’s going to reform health care.  Too many more promises were made that, if history is any indication, he won’t bother keeping.

Having said all of that, stubborn people get my blood pumping more than any other type of person.  There should be a law against stubborn people in the government.  Of course, then we wouldn’t be able to blame bureaucracy when things don’t get done fast enough.

Today, I watched several videos and debates on the health care reform bill.  One thing I noticed with every video I watched.  The stupid stubborn people were opposed.  The intelligent well spoken open minded people were supportive of the bill.  Well, not supportive of the bill, but had good explanations of why they would vote for the bill even though it’s not perfect and is, in fact, severely lacking in certain areas.  Pelosi wasn’t one of them.  I can’t watch videos of her without throwing stuff at the monitor.  My monitor is unscathed.

image I found a person I dislike more than Pelosi.  His name is Bart Stupak.  He’s a Michigan Representative.  He’s a stubborn ass.  He’s basically voting no because the bill doesn’t specifically outlaw abortions.  3000 pages and this is his sticking point.  That’s like saying I refuse to watch the Harry Potter movies because the extended version of The Sorcerer’s Stone is 159 minutes and I refuse to watch any of it unless it’s 160!

The strange thing is, he’s managed to convince a handful of his buddies to agree with him.  So they are all refusing to watch the Harry Potter movies because in their holier than thou opinion the Sorcerer’s Stone should be 160 minutes!

Anyway, then I started watching the people that are supporting the bill.  Granted, these are politicians and everything they say has to be taken with a grain of salt, but they argue intelligently.  I like intelligent arguments.  They don’t agree with the bill 100%.  They are a bit upset that the first movie is 1 minute short, but that’s okay.  They are looking at the bill as a whole.  The good, the bad and the ugly and have decided to go with it.

image I found myself admiring Dennis Kucinich, Representative from Ohio.  I only watched one interview.  He comes across kind of uncomfortable in front of the camera, but he has logical reasoning.  It’s not stubborn.  It’s thought out.

All the Republicans come across as pompous asswipes.  I’m not fond of pompous asswipes either.  They talk and all that comes out between the lines is, “We don’t like Obama and we can’t read and this costs too much.”  It’s quite irritating.  Come up with a new argument besides, “The democrats made us do it.”
 
I won’t lie.  I’m for smaller government.  However, I also believe that health care is a fundamental right.  You can’t expect to be happy when you are in poor health and we’ve all signed up to a pursuit of happiness.  Do we need governmental help in obtaining this right?  I’m not so sure.  I do know, however, that bad health is not something that we ask for.  It would be nice if you didn’t have to worry about the cost of that ambulance ride or that cancer treatment.

I won’t call this a complete reversal, but it’s close.  The representatives voting yes seem considerate and thoughtful.  The representatives voting no seem stubborn and/or pompous.  I’m teaming with the intelligent and thoughtful crowd.  After they pass this thing, may they all hold hands and figure out how to quit spending so much money, and decriminalize all victimless crimes (which may end up saving money).

2 comments:

  1. No Gar, you’re not stubborn. It’s just a matter that most people outside America, including me, don’t understand the opposition Obama is facing. In most (if not all) other countries, if the government want to give something for free or give something away cheaper, the people would grab it with both hands. Even if you do not directly benefit from it, you will still vote for it because you may need it later in your life. However in America, the people are REFUSING something which Obama want to give them for free! That make no sense to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The idea that a government can give people anything for free is naive. You always have to pay for it one way or another.

    ReplyDelete