You May Be Missing Something!

Thursday, March 4, 2010

The Flying Saucer and Fort Worth Rabble Rousers

As many of you may know I went to the Cadillac Sky concert last night in downtown Fort Worth.  At some point in the next couple of days I’ll post a review of that excellent show in all its glory.  I am already regretting that I didn’t take some videos, but there are plenty of videos on youtube already.

At the Flying Saucer I sat next to a man from Virginia.  He said he worked for the government.  He was a beer connoisseur.  It’s almost necessary when going to the Flying Saucer to at least know something about beers.  He could make recommendations on almost every beer they had.  I was most impressed.  It reminded me of Ed.  That’s happening a lot lately.  He gave me some tips on where to go if I’m ever in Philadelphia, Los Angeles, or Portland.  He highly recommended Portland.  Apparently, I need to get out more.

Whilst talking to the Federal Beer Connoisseur, a gentleman sat down on the other side of me and asked what I was drinking.  I was drinking a Franziskaner Heffe-Weisse Dunkel (they had it on tap).  He ordered the same.  It reminded me of someone telling me that this is a good beer shared amongst friends.

He started settling in to enjoy his beverage by going through his jacket and pants pockets to… look for stuff?  Rearrange things to find his wallet?  I don’t know why he did it, but everything was in plastic bags.  He unwrapped his cell phone and a small digital camera.  The guy from Virginia asked him if he was planning on going swimming.

“No,” he replied, “just being careful in case they decided to bring out the hoses.”

As careful as the Virginia guy was not to disclose exactly what he did for the government.  This rabble-rouser from Fort Worth was equally secretive about what he was protesting.  When I asked he just showed me business cards from the chief of police, the district attorney and someone else.  I quit paying attention cuz I got skeered.

There I sat between a Fort Worth rabble-rouser and a secretive federal employee.  I was merrily entertained and I really need to get out more.  At 7 (after about one and a half hours of this entertainment), I made my escape to go see Cadillac Sky…

2 comments:

  1. Great story, but you REALLY shoulda found out what the rabble rouser was going to be protesting. Protests can be a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The protest was over. He kind of had the attitude of "I've been at this protest stuff all day long and now I just want to sit here and have conversation completely unrelated while I try to snap pictures of the bartender's ample cleavage."

    I leave all the good stuff for the comments. It forces people to come back.

    ReplyDelete