You May Be Missing Something!

Saturday, January 10, 2009

Remove Vocals from Audio


So my eldest daughter wanted me to take her Britney Spears CD and remove the vocals from the first two verses of Womanizer.

I thought this would be relatively painless. I've been to Karaoke places before where they take a CD and reduce the lead vocals so you can sing over it in a most unglamorous fashion.

It's not as easy as it sounds. I managed to butcher it a little bit and made something that I think is acceptable.

I found a little trial ware ditty called Gold Wave that had an "effect" option to reduce vocals. It basically lets you trim the track via frequency and amplitude to remove/reduce the vocals. It has some predefined settings to help you get started.

All in all, I was impressed with the product. If you ever want to remove vocals from some music, it's definitely a good place to start. Free for 15 days. If you want to purchase it's $45. I'm hoping they'll donate me one for free since I took the time out of my busy Saturday to post this message.

2 comments:

  1. A beautiful example of the inverse of your little project: DLR!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It scares me that you find such whackiness.

    ReplyDelete